Saturday, August 15, 2009

Virginia Beach

Odometer: 16104

Gas: 2.53


OK, here's the deal people. As much as I enjoy talking to myself, I need a little feedback on the blog. A few comments now and then would keep me going besides all of the Zoe tirades and tequila. It can be anything, tell me I'm a lazy unemployed whatever or that the kids are cute - just give me something to work with. :)




As we drove from Richmond to Virginia Beach - the weather caught up with us. It started pouring rain and with accidents, traffic was going about 10 mph. Zoe and Kes were doing great, but I was the one getting antsy - so, I see a sign that says Army Transportation Museum next exit. I took it and soon we were in line to be searched at the Gate of some Army base. We never did get the name. Anyway, Missy keeps asking me where I am taking us and I say don't worry about, just pull out the camera, this is funny. They look all around the car, then make me open most of the trailer, go under it with the mirror on a stick thing, then have me sign some form - don't worry, I didn't read it. I tried dropping Adam Buenz's name around but that didn't seem to help things. :)
While I was opening the trailer and showing them all of our laundry, some lady security guard came over and gave Missy the third degree on having a camera out at a base entrance. Very funny too, and no, we didn't take any pictures. They were all very nice, acted surprised we weren't military, and then gave us directions to the museum on the base.



Virgina Beach itself is a military hang out from what we could tell. Lots of bars and the usual beach tourist crap. Nothing real special. The drivers were all pretty aggresive - we think it is just all the young military guys around. I would n't want to have trauma call here if I had to go into clinic the next day.


The beach was nice, the weather cleared enough for us to enjoy it on Saturday. Water and sand were clean, and not the crowds that we had on the beach in Maine.




One of the original Military hovercrafts.





A nice collection of Jeep Willy's - each one represented a different era.









Army trains that had served all over the world - everything from sleeper cars to move troops in Europe to a snow plow one used who knows where.










Kes, loving it as usual











It looks like an early A-10 (see Chip, I did read all those books you used to bring me from the pentagon) - at least to me, but it is actually one of the first vertical take off planes the military tried.







A hover car - I think 3 were made for the army. Looks like the Cadillacs I still see in the VA parking lots.











This is a walking thingy made by DARPA - even has the DARPA plate on the side still.

Apparently it worked very well, only problem was it burned so much oil and fuel it had to be connected continuously to a fuel truck.



















They had an amazing collection of prototype amphibious vehicles and early tugs which I thought was cool. The one directly in front of Zoe - only 2 were made. The tire diameter was just under 10 feet and it didn't say if they ever got it to float or move in the water, but it is massive. Reminds me of the Spruce Goose.







Easily the worst KOA we have been at. Not the worst campground we have been at, but worst KOA. This place was dirty besides all of the rain/mud and all of the sites are on top of each other. On the upside though, we did meet some of the smurfs as their village happened to be right where our water/electricity hook ups were.










1 comment:

  1. Missed your family this weekend at the Buenz reunion! We were short on wee ones, although Bob was his usual "young at heart got to keep busy self" despite brother Eric's desire to sit and chill.

    Have been totally enjoying the blog- along with most of the family. A source of conversation more than once during the weekend. Pictures are a huge hit.

    I had tried to post a comment when you were in the Boston area, but failed to figure things out. Amanda and I thought you would have enjoyed Newport. Maybe not the most kid fun friendly, but amazing mansions. We also enjoyed Plymouth Plantation when we were out there in April.

    Sure hadn't thought about the doctor check ups! And we were wondering if the $12 bridge toll was the same for a car or just high because of the RV.

    Hope everyone's having a great time in Myrtle Beach with Bob and Pat. We'll look forward to the continuing saga...
    Aunt Jude

    ReplyDelete